Loyal From the Start

Falling in love with Jesus was the best thing I’ve ever done. Jonathon Butler, a South African singer, songwriter, and guitarist, sang those words to me a few years ago, and I came to this realization while listening to him sing. Because of my relationship with God, I am able to have strong, positive relationships with others. That hasn’t always been the case though. As I began to take my walk with the Lord more seriously and make him number one in my life, my world began to change instantly.

I viewed friendships differently and was able to discern things that I hadn’t been able to reconcile before. Some of my friends moved on, and I distanced myself from others. God was refining me — even then. He used a serious illness to show me who my friends were. He used the loss of my beloved cousin to show me who I needed to excise from our family, and he equipped me to do it in a dignified way. It was during those times that he began teaching me about loyalty, forgiveness, and his ability to right wrongs.

I used to wish for do overs — a second chance to relive certain situations with fresh eyes– 47 year old eyes. I know that sounds like an oxymoron to have fresh eyes at 47, but I see clearer now than I did at 17, 27 or 37. Sure, I wear bifocals in order to drive, and I have prescription readers for writing these posts and reading things at work, but these old eyes have a clarity that human hands and modern medicine could not perfect. Only time, experience, and the Teacher’s daily lessons can give one that type of clarity and understanding. He’s been so good to me — a friend indeed.

A friend loves at all times. ~ Proverbs 17:17

He has proven his loyalty time and again. Holding me through the tough times, smiling with me during joyful times, comforting me through incredible losses, and pushing me to be all that he created me to be. Everything that I’ve asked for, he has given it to me in time. Those gifts never come in the beautiful white boxes with red bows I wrote about in yesterday’s post, but they do come.

I asked him to heal my body so that I could better serve him, and he pulled me from the deepest, darkest pit imaginable, and healed me just enough to do all that he has assigned me to do. Though I grappled with how he addressed my request versus how I wanted to serve him, his decision was final. He even reminded me that I could write about  him if I truly wanted to serve him. This was just another of his divine revelations that he had already equipped me to do his will. So, I did what he instructed me to do.

I asked him to give me a good husband and many children. Growing up as an only child, I relied on my first cousins and kids from my neighborhood for the kinship you expect from siblings. Not only did he surround me with the best childhood friends ever, he also urged me to teach and gave me a zeal for working with kids. He answered both prayers in his own time. Through teaching, I’ve experienced the joy of mothering thousands of kids.

I’ve also prayed for a loved one to someday know the Lord. Because God has been so loyal, I know that my prayer will be answered in time. He has allowed me to see part of the transformation already, and that alone has been a miracle. I can hardly wait to see how he answers this prayer — knowing that it will manifest in ways far greater than anything I could imagine.

Father God, thank you for always keeping your promises. You hear our cries, you heal our hearts, and you provide our every need. Your love is sufficient to mend families splintered by loss and coarse words. Your hand is mighty to deflect all the fiery darts of the enemy. Your breath is sufficient to give new life to the spiritually dead. Your voice is sufficient to alert all whose hearts are hardened. Lord, I ask that you speak to everyone reading this prayer in a way that they understand. Show them that you’re not a man that you would lie. Show them that you are loyal.  Amen! ❤

Before you leave today, please take a few minutes to listen to my Music Monday selection entitled “Loyal.” by Lauren Daigle. May blessings abound! ❤

1. dawnlizjones says:

Reading this from Norway visiting our new new granddaughter and her family, and saying mega-YES to your prayer!!!

1. God is good, Dawn! Congrats again on the new addition to the family.Hugs and blessings to you and your family…safe travels home when the time comes. Enjoy!

1. dawnlizjones says:

Sitting in the Charlotte Airport now after a LONG leg from Heathrow waiting to board for KC. WHEW but such blessings!!

1. Surely you’re settled in and resting by now…I’m so glad you had some quality time with your family in Norway. ❤

2. Caroline Harrison says:

Hi Michelle and God Bless. We habe some things in common. I’m an only child too. Both of my parents passed before I was 24. I came close to marriage but that didn’t work out. And st 39 , I had to have uterine fibroid embolization and at 43 found out I was suffering from severe endometriosis. I had surgery for that and they took my left ovary and fallopian tube. Now I just turned 50 and am starting menopause…so that ends ever having a child of my own. One time I asked God why and He clearly said, Look around you, all these are your children.
    Anyway, thanks for your posts and stay safe in the coming snow.

1. Hi Caroline! We need to chat next time we’re at BCC. We learn as time goes on that we’re not meant to have everything we want, but God always provides all our needs. I’m learning to be more focused on thanking him throughout the day along with my moment-by-moment prayers. I talk to him all day, but that’s just how much I need him. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Caroline.

3. Love you what you said here:

“but these old eyes have a clarity that human hands and modern medicine could not perfect. Only time, experience, and the Teacher’s daily lessons can give one that type of clarity and understanding”. The Holy Spirit is the best Teacher! Amen.

1. Indeed he is…how could we ever forget about the Holy Spirit? Thank God for sending our Comforter.

4. Beautiful! Yes, even when our lives are anything but a straight line, he is always there! Closer than my next breath! All I need to do is turn around and see him face-to-face. What an amazing joy that is!

1. Wow, I love that visual — closer than your next breath.

5. oneta hayes says:

You have expressed your current relationship with Jesus very well. Congratulations on your consistent growth. He is definitely worth the investment! No time can be lost that has been spent seeking Him.

1. Amen, Oneta! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words. We all benefit from encouragement along the journey.

1. Hey honey! Thanks for the love. I hope I have time to do what’s requested. If not, please know that I appreciate the gesture. 🙂

1. You’re so welcome Sis! No worries! 🙂

6. Terri says:

This is so beautifully written. I love how you described your relationships and how prayer helps guide you. It’s great that you continue to grow through it all.

1. Life is a steady uphill climb sometimes, and no one can get you to the summit but God. I’m overjoyed to have discovered it early enough to continue growing and sharing this knowledge with others. Thanks for stopping by, Terri.

7. greentea1580 says:

I found it! God is definitely loyal and I appreciate your vulnerability to share your story! There is healing in the journey 🙂

8. The is beautiful & well written!

9. Jay Colby says:

This was a beautiful post as always. Such powerful words that truly touched me!

1. Thanks so much, Jay. 😀 Have a wonderful weekend.

10. Right around turning 40, many of my friendships changed too. It’s a natural evolution.

11. Ashlee Adams says:

I LOVE This. I can only say that I LOVE This. So inspirational and so true. He will always be my first love.

1. Amen, Ashley! Thanks so much for stopping by. ❤

12. Kiwi says:

Congrats on the new additional to your family. Also many blessings to you as well for this post.

1. Girl, I’m not having babies at 47…lol…sorry if my post was confusing. ❤

13. Kita says:

I am not close to 40 yet but my life has been similar with loss. I pray for myself and my children. Your prayer is perfect.

1. Loss can sometimes take you down a really dark alley or a dark road. How you navigate through the darkness to get back into the light is a test of your divine connection. Draw close to God and he will be right there next to you — closer than your next breath (as a blogger friend of mine likes to say).

14. CJ | Thirty30Courtney.com says:

” I know that sounds like an oxymoron to have fresh eyes at 47, but I see clearer now than I did at 17, 27 or 37.” What a true statement. I’ll only be 28 next month and don’t like to live with regrets, but I definitely am more refined with discernment and appreciate all of my past experiences.

1. Nothing is wasted with God…every experiences helps to shape us. Have a wonderful weekend, Courtney1 ❤

15. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    This is Two Are Better Than One!

Liked by 2 people

16. Rebecca says:

I love this! I am always shy about sharing my story in regards to religion (I know I shouldn’t be), but I absolutely love it when other people do and that gives me some courage and confidence. 🙂

1. Thanks for stopping by, Rebecca. 🙂 Everybody has a story, and when you feel the need to share it, you should. I do my best not to talk about religion per see, but I do talk about my relationship with God. I’ve studied a few religions, but I can’t attribute my relationship what the Lord to any of them. That desire has to come from within. I am a member of a nondenominational church where I learn and grow each day. It’s a small piece of the puzzle, but it’s an important piece. ❤

17. I’m an only child as well, and was fortunate to have friends and cousins that are sisters and brothers. I’m blessed with a select few that I’m close to that support me in that way.

18. I love that song Falling in love with Jesus! That is the great thing about God that he is awesome and hears our prayers. May God continue to answer your prayers and give you your heart desires.

19. Delighting yourself in the Lord paid off…as He added the desires of your heart. He will continue to do so.

1. Amen, Sis! I can’t imagine my life without him.

20. Victoria says:

I love this post. I took my time to read it and have your words sink in. I love how religious you are and I can definitely learn a lot from you. God definitely answers prayers

1. Hey Victoria, thanks for stopping by. Strong faith comes as a result of many trials and some major triumphs that led to my transformation. Knowing that he sticks closer than a brother is all I need to know. Stop by anytime. Follow if you like. ❤

21. Hey Michelle! We have the same name 🙂 I loved this post, thanks for sharing your words.