Waiting

One of the hardest things to do is wait. We like things instantly in this world of ours. If we send an instant message, we want an instant response. If we order something on Amazon, we want next day delivery. If we’re flying, we want priority boarding. If we’re Black Friday shopping, we get up at the crack of dawn to be first in line. I have never met anyone who enjoys waiting. We can’t even wait for a pot of coffee to brew. We want that instant cup from Keurig.

I’m not sure how we got here. Surely we had to wait for the technology to get us to this state of I want it nowI remember waiting for the ice cream truck to pass down my street in the summer. I remember waiting until I was tall enough to ride certain rides at the amusement park. I remember waiting to get my driver’s license. Technology couldn’t help any of us in those situations. Why is it so hard to just wait?

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. ~Matthew 7:7

Even this verse has an inherent wait factor. It doesn’t say “Ask, and you’ll get it right away.” It doesn’t say “Seek and you will find it instantly.” It also doesn’t say “Knock, and the door will be opened to you as soon as you knock.” Even in scripture, we must often times wait.

Today, as I sit in anticipation of answered prayers,  I admit that it’s a bit uncomfortable. I can tolerate discomfort to some degree, but all this asking and seeking and knocking and waiting has me wondering. I’m wondering how long must I wait for this particular prayer to be answered. Knowing God the way that I do, I know that the wait won’t be much longer. He heard me the first time, and he is definitely  at work. Just because I can’t see all that has been done for my good doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been done. I truly believe that his answer is “Yes.” For that reason, I must continue to wait because he’s a man of his word.

NOTE – This is a series. Click here for the next segment.

1. Thank you for your post. I really enjoyed it and I pray that the Lord blesses you with what you are waiting for!

1. Thanks so much. I believe I just need to be more patient. It is an uncomfortable space I’m in, and the prayer isn’t for me.

1. Your welcome and I will make a silent prayer. The Lord knows what to do. Have a blessed day!

1. Have a blessed day as well. Happy Thanksgiving. ❤ Thanks for the silent prayer.

2. Robin Baldwin says:

I think some answers to prayers require waiting so that we appreciate them better.

1. Perhaps you’re right, my friend..

3. kemkem says:

I’m not sure how we got into the instant gratification mode in life. Some things are worth waiting for and l hope your prayers get answered 🙂

1. I know my prayer will be answered. I need to be patient and wait.

4. Emerald says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. There are some prayers that I’ve been waiting on for years and others that were answered very quickly. It’s very uncomfortable waiting on God to move when we feel that sense of urgency. But from my own experiences, it’s when I finally exhale and let the control go, that my prayers are finally answered. Thank you for sharing and for this on-time reminder.

1. Thank you for reading and giving me such good feedback. I thought I had relinquished control. I don’t think I really did. Nothing is truly in our control. My mind knows this, but the heart wants what it wants.

5. Cee says:

Amen, Michelle! I, too, have been waiting for years for some particular prayers to be answered. While we know that “God is good… All the time! And all the time… God is good!” it doesn’t always make waiting any easier. However, a recent sermon challenged me to wait well by seeing who I can be a blessing to while I wait. This is my renewed focus. As I seek to be a blessing, I trust the Lover of my soul to bless me with His good, pleasing and perfect gifts. Take care, sis! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your readers!

1. Wow, Cee! That was powerful! That’s a great way to spend your time as you wait. I’ll make that my focus too. This prayer isn’t for me, so it has been difficult to wait. Fighting spiritual battles for someone else is tricky, but the God of Heaven’s Armies has been with me the entire time. I’m grateful to him and to people like you who are generous enough to share a word from God. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! ❤

6. CJ | Thirty30Courtney.com says:

So true. I’ve learned that delayed is not denial and some while situations are straight up “NO”, others are “not yet”. Thank you for the reminder.

1. You’re welcome. I felt like this message wasn’t just for me. Someone else needed to hear this. Happy Thanksgiving!

7. KeenVision says:

Right on time! I think I said the same thing about one of your previous blogs. Your message was what I needed as I’d just had a similar conversation! I surely hope that this encounter was validation. Thank you. I FEEL that my answer is forthcoming.

1. I wrote this post on the fly — something I never do. The Spirit prompted me to write, and I did, so I know that this message wasn’t just for me. If was most likely for you too. When I started this blog, I prayed that these words would reach those who needed them. God has indeed answered that prayer. I hear it in the feedback from readers all the time. Happy Thanksgiving. ❤

8. Mesca says:

Great post, as always, dear Michelle. It really made me contemplate about waiting. When I was younger I couldn’t wait to grow up and wanted everything straight away. Lately, I became more patient, I don’t hurry as much, because I know that everything comes when the time is right. And meanwhile I wait I can observe the world around me :).

1. Indeed. Enjoy all there is to enjoy while you wait. That’s the approach I will take from now on. Thanks for stopping by, dear friend. ❤ Hey, it's Thanksgiving here. Are you celebrating anything this time of year?

1. Mesca says:

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! We don’t have it in my country, but we do have Great Union Day on 1st of December and looking forward for that. All the best wishes and lots of patience while waiting ;). Happy Thanksgiving! ❤

1. 🙂 Enjoy your national holiday! ❤

2. Mesca says:

9. I don’t mind waiting on the things I want. I’ve been that way all of my life, but as I get older it seems my patience has thinned a little. I remind myself often of what my Mother used to say ‘Good things come to those who wait!’

1. Your mom is wise. Waiting is sill hard, my friend.

10. Lively Life says:

Maybe it’s the perception of waiting that should be altered. I know it’s not as easy as just forgetting what you are waiting for. Time is out of our control and it’s going to do exactly what it does best. to Keep ticking. We exist in time and because of time.I do believe everything happens for a reason and if i even consider the idea of things being predetermined, it already feels less like I am waiting and more like I am living 🙂

1. You are so wise. Changing the perception associated with waiting is a novel idea. I think I’ll adopt it. ❤

11. Deb says:

So again, I prayed a while ago for God to bring me an answer to my prayer and I’m still waiting for it…but in listening to others I’ve learned a few things. I could be blocking God’s answer without realizing it, He’s presenting it to me and I, not realizing it’s the answer, am rejecting it. Or I’m not quite ready for what He has in mind for me…so I tell Him every day that I surrender to Him and that I am open and receptive to His plan and if I am blocking it somehow to let me realize that and stop! I’m actually a very patient person but I wonder how long I will have to wait for this one as it’s so important to me and guess what…I want it now!! 😉 Great post Michelle…Know your prayer will be answered at the right time. (we already know that right!)

1. Perhaps there’s one or two more lessons to learn while there. The good thing is that God hears our cries. He doesn’t sleep nor does he slumber. He’s always at work –even now.

1. Deb says:

I believe that too. I spend everyday thanking Him, from waking up, to keeping me safe in my travels, to helping me at work, to when I arrive back home safe and sound! I thank Him for bringing me something greater than I can every imagine. He brought my beautiful home that I now live in, on a peaceful and quiet street. So I know He’s working on it!! 🙂 xo

12. Jo says:

I think we can all relate to this. I often wonder when my time will come and it’s been years of waiting. I have learned a lot in the process. Maybe I just need to learn some more. It’s tough, but in the end, it will be worth it.

1. Jo, I got confirmation this morning that my prayers and efforts have not been in vain. I’ll continue to live as I wait for this work to be finished. Thanks for reading.

13. Whew! Thank you so much for this. It’s true. We have become a culture of instant gratification. I think of the fact that years ago, people sent letters to one another and they had to wait for a response, not knowing if one would ever come. I’ve experienced a lot of waiting in my life and I’ve learned (well, still learning) to enjoy the waiting period. In that time something is being cultivated. And when the prayer is answered, the timing is right.

1. Amen, Tryphena! We must learn to wait like we waited on those snail mail responses. Have a blessed day, Sister! Thanks for reading. ❤

14. Waiting is tough! However, I always keep asking for the grace to the patient and to let The Lord work what he wants in me.

1. You’re a wise woman, Sis. I’m learning to just keep living while I wait.

15. cleverlychanging says:

I don’t mind waiting because I think good things come to those who wait. Patience can be hard to come by these days.

1. I’ve been encouraged by all of you since writing this post. Praise God for all of you gentle witnesses. ❤

16. Waiting is hard to go. We can thank society for fueling the needs of instant gratification. However, when we wait for answered prayers, we must acknowledge that His timing is not our timing. Thanks for sharing your story. Hang in there. Your answered prayer is in the way!

1. Agreed. I’m more comfortable waiting today.

17. I absolutely love this Michelle! And yes, I agree: His answer is already yes, we just have to do the work and wait for it to come to pass. Waiting is definitely hard, but I admit that it is always rewarding.

1. Thanks so much for reading and chiming in. I see that he’s at work, and I’m thankful.

18. On time reminder about our on-time God. I too have prayers that I’ve been awaiting answers for years, but I know that God’s timing is perfect so I trust him because he has never failed me yet.

19. Ty Knighten says:

Patience is a virtue that I have been working on and thank the Lord he has worked with me in this area. Waiting is something that I have come to terms with in prayer. I totally believe in giving it to God and leaving it there…

20. I am pretty impatient. Waiting is really hard for me and while waiting I start wondering and trying to figure things out. Sometimes the hardest part of any process is the waiting period.