Not Today, Satan

Mid-Week Motivation

Some days we wake up energized with a song in our hearts ready to take on the world.  Other days we wake up grumpy and focused on the dark cloud looming above us rather than its silver lining.

Ever stub your toe first thing in the morning and greet the day with a few expletives or euphemisms for expletives? Run into your ex and his  perfect, new girlfriend at church? Drop a ring down the garbage disposal that you borrowed from a friend?  What about getting up on the wrong side of the bed?   Perhaps it’s 12° outside, your gas tank is running on fumes, and you left your wallet at home. Yeah, that was my reality this morning. To all those things, let’s just say “Not today, Satan!”

I’ve noticed that I’m most vulnerable to his attacks when I’m tired, hungry, or homesick. Just when I figure out my triggers and devise a strategy to counter his attacks, he adds a twist to his tricks — proving that his moniker suits him. He’s a devil! After we succumb to his attacks, we usually feel used, dirty, and remorseful.

Recall how he tempted Christ in Matthew 4:2-11 after a lengthy fast. Our savior was ravenous and weak. Satan saw his opportunity and pounced! He challenged Christ to turn stones into bread–assuming it would end favorably for him since Christ was visibly weakened from his forty day fast.  Instead, he was met with a resounding no. Next, he told him to prove his identity by throwing himself from a high point — again assuming that Christ was at a low point. He even used scripture as his argument.  Slick move, Satan. Again, his attempts were rebuked.  Finally, he pulled out all the stops and offered Christ the world. This, too, was an epic fail. Silly Satan, tricks are for kids.

After these foiled attempts to lure Christ to the dark side, our Savior sternly told Satan to be gone!  In other words, Not today, Satan!  Shortly thereafter, angels surrounded him and attended to his needs.  We, too, need angels to attend to us when we’ve been tempted or just having a bad day.  Our friends and family are those angels here on Earth who can look at our dilemmas with fresh eyes and help us put things in perspective.  Rely on them.  Don’t be a Gloomy Gus or Negative Nancy all day today.  Actively seek out your angels, and be thankful that God  has commanded them to guard you in all your ways.

Note — In case you’re a little worried about me, I only experienced one of the scenarios above.  Can you guess which one?

1. Cook4Ever says:

Wonderful post. A great reminder that He who is in us, is greater than he who is in the world!

1. Amen! Thanks for reading.

2. babscharles says:

Thank you Michelle for this Awesome Motivation!!! “Not Today Satan” is my new battle cry!!!

3. vicki says:

“Silly Satan, Tricks are for kids”! LOVE THAT!!!
    I am gonna repost this because, well, yesterday was a day… not as bad as yours, but well, bad enough…
    ENOUGH SATAN!!
    Blessings,
    Vicki

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks for reading and reblogging.

4. vicki says:

Reblogged this on HORSES DIRT AND MOTHERHOOD and commented:
    I am reblogging this post today because well, I NEEDED this encouragement today and I am sure some of you do to. My day wasn’t as bad as hers, it was just an all around irritating day. I love her line, “Silly Satan, Tricks are for Kids”!!
    It is the first week back to school for many of you after Christmas break or at least, the first week of a New Year. Call on your angels and declare NO MORE!!! Pray for each other today.
    Blessings,
    Vicki

Liked by 2 people

5. Roo's Ruse says:

Talk about perfect timing! I too had a long, hard night – bone weary and a little sad, I let my defenses down. The only temptation I gave in to was a pity-party before slipping into sleep, but I awoke wrapped in the Holy Spirit this morning! Most profound to me today is how we are all so uniformly knit together. Like minds. This post is too perfect to not reblog, if you don’t mind. ❤

1. Wow…thank you. Glad today is better for you. Feel free to reblog.

6. mescalime says:

I need lots of breathing exercises on days like the one you had.
    Loved your post and the words are so encouraging. Will remind myself to read it when I’ll be feeling down.

1. Awww…thanks. The only scenario I can own is the car scenario. I’m still on fumes. 🙂

1. mescalime says:

So you’re still good.☺ Imagine to have them all or even worse. God bless us all! 😊

7. mescalime says:

Michelle, I thought to nominate you in a 3 Day Quote Challenge. Hope you like quotes:)

1. I love quotes! Thanks.

1. mescalime says:

You’re welcome! Can’t wait to read your picks☺

8. Pingback: Whats Next